Sunday, March 3, 2019

Tasting - Dark Horse Big Red Blend

Name: The Original Dark Horse Big Red Blend: Blend No. 33.1
Variety: Red Blend
Region: Modesto, California
Country: United States
Year: 2017
Price: $8.99

Winery Review: "A good sense of concentration and depth make this medium-bodied wine taste big and satisfying without overdoing it. It has a very dark color, fruity and lightly spicy aromas, rich plum and black cherry flavors and rather mild tannins" (Wine Enthusiast - 88). 

My Review: Not my favorite. I could detect aromas of plum and black cherry, but not fruity flavors. I disagree with the review in that this wine is medium-bodied with mild tannins. To me, it was too aggressive and the tannins were very strong. The flavors also reminded me of leather, which I did not really enjoy. I think this wine would mellow out some and be better if I decanted it or let it sit out for a day or two. I also did not try this wine with any food.

No comments:

Post a Comment